Get in here fit fam! Did you know Okra (okra, okro, any one joor!) is a vegetable?
Now you do.
Sometimes, finding the ideal food that can be sourced locally and supports healthy nutritional lifestyle can be a daunting task. So when I found out that Okra is a vegetable that aids my weight maintenance goals, I was dancing on tables!!!
One cup serving of okra provides 36 calories and provides 4 g of fibre. It’s glycemic index is pretty low. All these make it a good one to aid weight loss.
Okra soup goes absolutely amazing with oat swallow and it takes roughly 25 minutes to prepare. The best part is that all ingredients are available locally and not at all expensive.
So here’s the recipe:
- Grated okro (or sliced if you like it that way)
- Red bell peppers (tatashe)
- 1 medium onion bulb
- Scotch Bonnet (ata rodo)
- 2 Tablespoon blended crayfish
- Shredded smoked catfish or eja kika
- Goat meat or beef and/or ponmo (I replace this with more seafood)
- 2 cubes of your preferred brand of Seasoning
- Vegetables ( ugwu or spinach)
- Boil your goat meat or beef and/or ponmo with enough water and set aside the content.
- Blend red bell peppers (tatashe), 1 medium onion bulb, scotch bonnet (ata rodo).
- Add the mix to the meat stock as this will act as a base for the Okra.
- With high heat bring the mix to a boil, and add the crayfish powder and the two stock cubes then stir till well combined.
- Add the shredded smoked catfish or eja kika and goat meat or beef and/or ponmo. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add your grated okro.
- Taste for salt and adjust to taste.
- Add chopped ugwu. (don’t let it the ugwu cook for longer than a few minutes tho!)
This fitfam soup is ready to be served and enjoyed! Trust me, if you have any guests, they will finish their food, lick the plates and ask for more!
Thank me later.